THE IOHIO IS GRATEFUL FOR YOUR DONATION
The state of Oaxaca is now considered the pipe organ capital of Mexico with 11 of the 72 documented instruments now playable, more than in any other state. These historic instruments are widely recognized as a unique aspect of Oaxaca’s rich cultural heritage, largely because of the ongoing work of the Instituto de Órganos Históricos de Oaxaca (IOHIO) since its founding in 2000.
In 2017 the IOHIO became an independently financed organization and since then, thanks to the enthusiastic and generous support of our donors, we have been able to accomplish everything we set out to do.
ACHIEVEMENTS IN 2018
* Celebration of the 12th International Organ and Early Music Festival in February 2018, the most extensive festival yet, with over 120 participants.
* Publication of the book Música Regional Oaxaqueña de ayer y hoy, transcripciones para órgano y piano (Regional Oaxaca Music of yesterday and today, transcribed for organ and piano), representing a fascinating fusion of two aspects of Oaxaca’s music culture— the pipe organs and the local folk music.
* Continuation of our fundamental activities: playing concerts and masses, teaching local students, presenting conferences, and maintaining the organs.
OUR GOALS FOR 2019
* Preparation for the publication of a catalog of the Oaxaca organs in Spanish and English, which will compile 20 years of work. This book will require extensive field work to update the data and photographs of the 72 organs located in 68 communities throughout the state; it will also include summaries of historical and anthropological research.
* Continuation of the activities cited above, with a focus on expanding our teaching program.
* Renovation of the IOHIO web page; upgrade of our promotional material.
* Organization of the 13th International Organ and Early Music Festival programmed for February 2020.
Our success would not have been possible without your generous support. We hope that success will inspire both past and first-time Friends of the IOHIO to support this unique initiative which has had such an important impact on Oaxaca’s cultural life.
With thanks and best wishes,